Welcome, Baby!

My dear friend just gave birth to her baby girl just a few hours ago. This is her first child. She ended up going into labor a week after her due date. This did not make her happy, to say the least.
Her sister had been induced two weeks early for both of her children, so her mind had convinced her that she would somehow go early as well. Then her due date came and went. I called her a couple of times that week. She was crabby. I decided texting might be better. Still crabby. In the end, I sent her an email just saying that I was thinking of her.
I don’t think she was doing anything wrong by being frustrated. I remember that time. I went past my due date too. I thought Quinn was never going to show up. Ever.

I was tired, swollen, my joints hurt, I was emotional. I was a pure joy to be around. For a week I went to bed thinking I might be in the early stages of labor. I thought every night would be the night, then I would wake up the next morning with no signs of baby coming.

Finally, 5 days after my due date, I woke up and took a 2 mile walk and cried. It was chilly and windy. Tears were streaming into my ears. I wasn’t sure if I was ready to have the baby yet, but I sure was ready to not be pregnant anymore.

I got home, talked to my mother-in-law, who “I know, Erin. You are just saying to yourself, ‘Get this fucking baby out of me!” It made me laugh. It was one of the only times I had heard her drop the F-bomb, and she saved the occasion for me. And she was right.

As with every day for the previous days, I had some pains. This time though, they just never went away. I called my husband at 9:00. “I think this is it. You need to come home.” He came home and told me that I had to eat. It was going to be a long day and I needed energy.

We went to Jimmy Johns and I watched him eat his sub. I was way too excited to eat. This was a mistake, because I truly did not realize at the time how long our day would be.

The labor hurt a bit, but it wasn’t killing me. “This isn’t so bad. I’ll totally be able to go natural.” Ten hours later, I had completely changed my mind. My midwife had told me I wasn’t allowed to come to the hospital until my contractions were 5 minutes apart. They weren’t getting there, but they were by far the most pain I have ever felt in my entire life. By 11:00 pm I was throwing up with every other contraction.

“Screw the rule. Tell her they are 5 minutes apart so we can come in.” My husband begged the midwife to let us come in to get some pain relief. We hopped in the car and drove to the hospital. I remember throwing up into my bag, and looking over at the car next to us at the stoplight thinking, “This woman probably thinks I am wasted.”

We arrived at the hospital. I was checked out by the midwife. “You are only 1 cm dialated. You could probably go home for a while.” I started to cry. Then I puked again. I pleaded with them to give me drugs. I had changed my mind about the natural birth. Seriously-changed-my- mind.

They reluctantly brought me upstairs. By this time, my mom, sisters, and mother-in-law were all in the waiting room. They gave me the drugs. I waited to feel better. I didn’t feel as much pain, but I continued to throw up. I was delirious and weak at this point. Whoever said this was a beautiful experience?

Finally, at 7:00 am I was ready to push. This part is all a little blurry to me. I remember throwing up while I was pushing. Then I could hear my sister gagging. I wanted this to be a cool experience for her, but I think it was all just too much for her at this point. I was feeling the same way.

I pushed. And pushed. And pushed. The midwife had to step aside and let the doctor come in. By this time, there were about 6 health care professionals in the room down at my feet. That would make a total of 10 I was totally exposed to.

“Forceps,” they said. One doctor pulled. No luck. Another doctor stepped in and pulled. I could not believe that this baby’s head was not going to pop off with all of this pulling. My sister said the doctors were literally bracing their legs and pulling so hard their arms were shaking.

Then the baby arrived.

It was a girl.

I was crying. My husband was crying. After a few minutes, Quinn was crying too.

She had a full head of hair. She was so tiny. So precious. So beautiful. All of the pain and work disappeared from my mind. She was here. She was ours.

So to my friend who had her baby last night, I hope it was beautiful. I can’t wait to meet your daughter. I can’t wait to see you as a mother. This will be the ride of your life.

Here is an easy recipe to make when you are exhausted. It is one of my favorites. M, I know you don’t like onions, so you can leave them out.

Southwest Salad with Chicken

Basically I just throw the following things on some greens:
grilled chicken

black beans

corn kernals

jalepenos, sliced

cilantro. chopped
red onions, thinly sliced

I mix some salsa and sour cream (or salsa and ranch if you are feeling crazy) and drizzle it over the salad.

One thought on “Welcome, Baby!

  1. meg

    thanks erin…yes, all crabbiness aside – it was beautiful. i guess in the long run, 23 hours of hell = one freaking cute little girl.

    she cannot wait to be quinn’s friend. i cannot wait to hear their first conversation.

    i bet quinn will be for addie, what you are for me. forget the bag of chips, you are all that and a yummy salad.


Tell Me What You're Thinking